Careers - Material Handler - Mount Vernon
Come Join Our Team!
Barrie House Coffee Company, LLC is a third-generation family roaster that has been blending, roasting and packing coffee in New York since 1934 and is now a leading roaster and manufacturer for branded and private label coffee products sold through the retail, e-commence, food service and hospitality channels. Barrie House has partnered with Martha Stewart for a co-branded coffee line and with The Headstrong Project for a special Hero's Reserve line of which 100% of the profits are donated to the organization. Barrie House ranks in the Top 10 of all Fair-Trade coffee providers in the U.S. We source the finest ingredients from farmers and supply chain partners we trust and artfully transform them into the best-in-class products with fair and sustainable pricing. Our new line of premium Fair Trade and Organic coffee uses only high quality, specialty-grade beans to produce exceptional and unique blends. Even more importantly, our Fair-Trade Organic coffees are affordably priced so that more consumers can enjoy a premium cup of coffee while still helping to support sustainability and advancements for farmers, their communities, and the coffee industry!
The Material Handler performs a variety of tasks involved in the preparation of green coffee to produce roasted coffee according to each work order, but also take part in quality checks and improvements, and be part of the broader coffee production team. Familiarity with food safety regulations and quality systems is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Preparation of green coffee for roasting.
- Fill bean silos, verification will be required by a second individual prior to dumping.
- Stack and tie down green coffee bags for disposal.
- Maintain an accurate database and production information for use with the computerized control system.
- Maintain an ongoing fire watch while the roaster(s) is (are) in operation.
- Complete all logs/forms/check lists (required at the beginning, during and end of shift).
- Work with the QC Team to ensure that each roast meets quality standards.
- Maintaining the Roasters, Green Coffee, and Dump Station areas in a clean and organized.
- Learning the processes of roasting coffee; green coffee verification with green system recipes, manual dumps and safely operate/maintain roasters and all other equipment.
- Operate and maintain equipment used to handling materials (forklift, pallet jack, hand trucks, etc.)
- Follow guidelines to maintain a clean, sanitary, and safe work environment.
- Other duties as required and assigned/approved by the Production Manager.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Read, Write, Speak, and understand English.
- Must have manufacturing environment experience.
- Quality Assurance one year preferred.
- Food safety one year preferred.
- Responsible to know and understand fire prevention and be able to teach it to others that work in that area.
- Ability to lead or guide others and deal with conflict effectively.
- Current certification to operate a forklift or the ability to certify.
- Mechanical skills.
- Ability to prepare and operate machinery.
- Ability to perform light mechanical repairs to keep machinery running.
- Able to work well with a team.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Able to take direction and work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Good time management skills,
- Ability to work any schedule that management deems necessary.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Continually required to sit, stand, bend, and lift to 50 lbs. or more.
- Good physical strength (to effectively handle materials for loading and unloading).
- Able to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform all necessary physical activities without restrictions.
- Ability to safely drive a forklift.
- Ability to frequently kneel, squat, bend and stoop, twist kneel and reach overhead required.
- Ability to work in a warehouse environment.
- Must be flexible and must be able to work overtime and weekends as needed.
- 401K with company match
- Paid Sick, Personal, and Vacation Time
- Short Term disability
- Long term disability
- Flex Spending
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Direct Deposit
- Referral Bonuses
Barrie House is committed to creating equitable employment opportunities for all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
CURRENTLY hiring, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Only qualified candidates will be contacted
* No recruiting agencies