Come Join Our Team!
Barrie House Coffee Company, LLC is a third-generation family roaster that has been blending, roasting, and packing coffee in New York since 1934 and is now a leading roaster and manufacturer for branded and private label coffee products sold through the retail, e-commence, food service and hospitality channels. Barrie House has partnered with Martha Stewart for a co-branded coffee line and with The Headstrong Project for a special Hero's Reserve line of which 100% of the profits are donated to the organization. Barrie House ranks in the Top 10 of all Fair-Trade coffee providers in the U.S. We source the finest ingredients from farmers and supply chain partners we trust and artfully transform them into the best-in-class products with fair and sustainable pricing. Our new line of premium Fair Trade and Organic coffee uses only high quality, specialty-grade beans to produce exceptional and unique blends. Even more importantly, our Fair-Trade Organic coffees are affordably priced so that more consumers can enjoy a premium cup of coffee while still helping to support sustainability and advancements for farmers, their communities and the coffee industry!
With an intense focus on meeting customer needs, the Operations Project Manager (“OPM”) is responsible for managing defined projects and activities related to the manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution operations, as well as certain support functions, particularly, maintenance and engineering, production and inventory planning, and IT, with the ultimate objective of delivering consistent, superior products and service to BHC customers. The OPM’s mission is to ensure the quality, cost, and efficiency of each assigned operation through the timely production and delivery of high-quality products in compliance with all applicable customer, business, and regulatory requirements. In addition to overseeing the Plant Manager of roasting operations, the OPM will lead discrete, cross-functional teams over specified periods, projects, and initiatives, ensuring their successful and timely completion.
This position reports to the COO|CFO is primarily responsible for helping to create a performance driven environment that consistently meets production demand with a high level of quality and daily continuous improvement efforts. This document describes typical duties and responsibilities. It is not all inclusive and management is not limited from changing or assigning other work at any time.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and improve mechanisms to ensure that the manufacturing and warehouse organization provide the required products and services in a consistently timely, cost effective and quality manner.
- Support site initiatives related to safety, quality, productivity, cost, and delivery, establishing an environment of continuous process improvement; provide long term solutions and day-to-day operating support, including help troubleshooting and resolving equipment issues, process review and improvement, and performing root cause analysis; troubleshoot to eliminate product and processing deviations and improve controllability.
- Alongside operations, maintenance, and other support leadership, assist in defining goals, communicating the goals and, if required, assist in achieving the goals; support the smooth daily operation of the plant with minimal repetitive issues.
- Develop and maintain production efficiency and downtime/outage reporting, analyzing, and addressing cause/effect data collected during operation; develop and analyze utilization and reliability data utilizing data to improve production efficiency and to established and achieve appropriate goals.
- Assist the COO in the development, and management of budgets, schedules, and key operating metrics; help develop and maintain productivity and quality reporting; tie team performance goals to Company objectives; actively track, trend, and monitor results to drive improved performance; develop KPI’s for tracking and reporting the effectiveness of providers and activities affect Company performance, including supplier quality, equipment reliability, etc.
- Actively participate in the development/revision and implementation of policies and procedures that will enable the Company to provide outstanding, efficient service at the best possible cost; ensure all assigned employees are aware of and comply with Company, government, and customer policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Play key role in advancing the adoption of systems for managing our maintenance and engineering efforts, replacement parts, inventories and including physical procedures and administration utilizing NetSuite.
- Ensure standards for product quality, equipment and operator performance are maintained and that cost-effective technology is used to maximize production; participate in the design of efficient training programs; assist the Maintenance Manager in the design of preventive maintenance programs.
- In conjunction with the maintenance, operations, and quality assurance leadership, develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for equipment operation and maintenance, including parameter settings, preventative maintenance programs, predictive analysis, and work order scheduling, transfer operating learnings to SOP and training materials.
- Actively participate in capital project development and post-approval management; manage and schedule project elements to ensure minimal interruption to plant operations; deliver finished projects as designed on time and on budget without safety, food safety or environmental issues.
- Review production and operating reports; assist in the resolution of operational, manufacturing, and maintenance issues to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays.
- Work closely with the Senior Inventory Planner, serve as backup and support for Inventory Planning; be prepared to step in and perform duties and tasks including demand planning, work order scheduling, and production reporting.
- Work closely with the VP of IT, serve as liaison and support between IT and operations, supporting technologies related to production equipment as well as maintaining the integrity of key master file data.
- Develop and maintain the policies and procedures that will ensure the timely and accurate recording of all transactions, especially as they pertain to inventory; create a culture of ownership concerning the inventory to preserve the integrity of inventory records.
- Coordinate with the Quality Assurance team and Safety Manager to ensure all Company quality and safety procedures and requirements are followed, and documentation is accurately maintained; assist and coordinate with QA to analyze performance as it relates to quality, safety, and waste.
This position is directly responsible for overseeing the Roasting Plant Manager and leading select cross-functional project teams.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Design’s workflows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively.
- Delegation - Delegate’s work assignments; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Leadership - Exhibit’s confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, products, and services.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions.
- Diversity - Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization's goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B.A.) in related discipline and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of 5+ years of management experience in a complex, manufacturing/warehouse environment.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- 401K with company match
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance
- Paid Sick, Personal, and Vacation Time
- Short Term disability
- Long term disability
- Flex Spending
- Commuter Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Direct Deposit
- Referral Bonuses
Barrie House is committed to creating equitable employment opportunities for all individuals. We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
CURRENTLY hiring, please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Only qualified candidates will be contacted
* No recruiting agencies